Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Amy Butler Lotus Dress part 1

At last I begin the Lotus dress project!  This is the muslin, made from an old sheet, as the dress fabric Mum bought me was very nice and expensive so I am trying to adjust the pattern first.

The pattern is a bit on the big side I think, plenty of ease.  I cut the small size thinking I may have to let it out over the hips and it is actually pretty big.  Fortunately the fabric drapes pretty well so it feels good to have that extra room.  Looks pretty good for a sheet, no?!

The front of the dress fits ok although a bit mishapen at the top of the bust...the back does not fit right at all due to my sway back and large butt!  However I had to fix that on the last top I made and so I have some experience fixing the back to fit me.  Also, those belt loops seem too low to me...is it me?




This dress will have the cap sleeves once I am satisfied with the fit and I may even line this muslin and wear it.  This is my second garment project, I have no photos of the first yet but it was a summer top and turned out very cute.

More to follow soon, I hope..




2 comments:

  1. Actually, I was thinking that the sheet fabric made a great dress too......you will have two that fit like a glove....

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! I quite like the blue...it's a poly cotton and feels nice on. The sheet had some slight discoloration but you hardly notice it. I have an old vogue sewing book that gives exact advice on what to do when the fit is not good here or there and I used it last time for pointers on altering that top I made. I was thinking of scanning some pages out and posting them to show what I do to alter it.

    ReplyDelete