Pages

Monday, April 25, 2011

Amy Butler Lotus Dress part 3


Cap Sleeves are go!
My Muslin/Dress is almost finished...well actually I have worn it downtown twice without the hem finished because I couldn't wait to wear it any longer!  Can't wear it to work like that though, I'm pretty sure the boss will look at me funny...  I am glad I threw this frock on before I stay-stitched and bound those sleeves!  I nearly didn't bother and so I was lucky my sister-in-law came round and I wanted to show her how it looked.  That's how I knew the sleeve sizes on the pattern are quite unrealistic, I had to let them out to the large size and they do still pinch a bit once in a while.

Time for another picture! >
I tie the belt in a bow behind
This pic gives a pretty good idea of the fit, I don't have good full-length pics yet and anyway the hem isn't finished.  My brother-in-law suggested I add some lace too which I may well do.  I'm glad I moved those belt loops, they are just right and I can tie a bow at the small of my back which looks nice and keeps the lines clean in front.

Everyone loves the sleeves so I am glad I made this version, they could even be bigger and longer for my taste and maybe next time I will put elastic in to prevent pinching as they are still a little snug.  The next dress I make from this pattern will be made in a gorgeous girly fabric Mum bought for me some time ago, and will hopefully go smoother now that I have made this practice run.  I am giving some thought to leaving the sleeves off the next version as it will be very sweet anyway due to the pretty fabric.  Not sure yet.  I do know that if I make this in the tunic length it will be a nice dress length on me and I will leave off the belt this time, it should not need that added detail for interest due to the shorter length and patterned fabric.  

I never did like the contrast detailing on the cover of the pattern much, I have seen it done well once in my searches online, but the fabric choice must be so carefully made, and I do not care for most of the combinations I have seen, including Amy Butler's own version.  

Anyway, I hope to follow this post with more pictures of the fully hemmed and completed dress!  

1 comment: