Pages

Monday, April 5, 2010

A Bed Quilt - is this enough fabric??


I am thinking about making a quilt.

The more I think about it and the more I read about quilting the more I realize what a serious thing it is to think about making a quilt!  I am practically paralyzed with terror in fact!!

So much so that I have needed to simplify this process by choosing the easiest design and breaking down the rest of my anxieties into key questions.  In my quest for the right design I have looked at lots of lovely quilts on the internet and I have to say I am most attracted to simple patterns that feature lovely fabric combinations.

So I decided to do a quilt top made from squares and then to consider adding some applique after the top was about done - once I can see how it looks and where it might benefit from some more "action".  The applique may or may not happen at all of course since I would like to get this done fairly quickly once I decide how to do it, otherwise I shall run out of enthusiasm y'know!

My ideas for the applique are pretty simple too - little squares inset into the bigger squares seems to be a pretty popular idea and I like it, so that's the plan.  To choose the fabric combinations, I went to a super-cheap store and ran around holding the bolts up to each other for a while until I arrived at a shortlist of some super stuff, then I purchased small and varying amounts at random without reference to how much I needed (great plan huh?!?) so I have about a half yard of each choice, although I got a full yard of a couple of favorites.

When I got home and laid the fabric pieces out I threw in a couple yards of something I already had that works nicely with the colors and grabbed a too-big beige striped shirt out of the closet for just in case I need more.  So far the project has cost about $20 total, which is all I plan to spend on it.
Here are the fabrics all laid out on a queen size bed...they do cover the area with a fair bit to spare.


Now for my anxieties:


  1. Do I really have enough fabric for a full size bed quilt?  (the batting is 81"x96")
  2. How do I figure out what size my squares should be?
  3. Can I get away with cutting the pieces with scissors? (I can't afford the cutter & mat)
  4. Are the fabrics too feminine?  (the quilt is for a teen boy, eek!)
  5. Can I get away with mixing in some lightweight fabrics?  (got 2 shirt-weight ones by mistake)
  6. I want to quilt it with a Sashiko pattern..should I attempt this by machine or hand-quilt instead?
  7. Can I get this done in 2 weeks?  (a certain birthday fast approaching)
  8. The bedsheet I have to back it with is blue, is that going to work??
  9. Will Mummy be able to answer my questions tomorrow?!?!


Phew!  That's enough stressing out for one night.
Now for some more close-ups of those super fabrics, yum!




2 comments:

  1. It looks like enough fabric but just incase try and keep one of the larger pieces back so you can add a border which will quickly bump up the size if need be.
    YOu can make the squares any size but I tend to go for 4 - 6 inches. You should look at your smallest piece of cloth and ask it how many squares of your chosen size can you cut? If that only gives you a couple it is probably too lrge a size as you want a few of each colour to make the quilt top interesting. About 4 - 6 of each colour might work well.
    Scissors are ok but cut everything as accurately as possible.
    Don't get prissy about feminine, make the quilt.
    All old quilts were made using scraps coz they did not want to waste fabric, that meant all sorts of grades of fabric too. Don't worry too much, the quilting will even it all out and I have made quilts using mixtures of polyester and cotton and different weights, they are fine.
    Make the top first then we will talk through what to do next.
    I have a book called 'Make a quilt in a weekend' So you can do this if you keep to squares.
    No one sees the back of your work on the bed, so forget about the colour just get on with it. This is your first quilt and I have seen many first quilts made with whatever they had to hand. Fussy can come later with experience.
    Remember, it will be beautiful -they always are.
    You will become a domestic goddess overnight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! I don't know about domestic goddess...I'll settle for just becoming domesticated! Kind of like house trained...Anyway......

    Thanks for the comments! VERY helpful. I wasn't kidding about being paralyzed, in fact today I had decided not to make it at all because it is almost certain that the person it is intended for won't like it, never mind appreciate it! My DH even told me to "just get two bedsheets and make a plain top bedspread with some nice stitching". So I went out with my MIL in search of bedsheets, but I couldn't even find anything that would do! The MIL and I have decided to quit wasting our time in thrift stores after today. Some of their prices are so high I swear you could get a better deal in Macys! So to Macys will shall go in that case, so there!

    Anyway, since you command me to make the quilt I shall do so, mostly because I think it would be good for me to get something done instead of worrying myself out of doing anything. I am washing all the fabrics right now and so once I have ironed everything I will get the scissors out. I just confiscated the "flower basket" quilt off of the boy's bed, parts of it are hanging off in strips and I can't stand to let it get totally destroyed like that, perhaps we can save it and hang it on the wall. Meanwhile "Skunkie" is holding up grand! The skunker is now 15 years old and I have diagnosed it merely in need of a new binding, other that that, the odd coffee stain and some fading there is no damage at all! Amazing, truly a Skunkie to be proud of!

    Until next weekend then, and I hope to have something to show for myself....

    =0)

    ReplyDelete