Pages

Monday, April 19, 2010

Is this a Chrysanthemum Ball?

I made a toy/puzzle ball that I first saw on a cover of "Quilts Japan" magazine over at superbuzzy.. I looked all over for a pattern for it and then a tutorial showed up on craftgossip here, which I followed...with some modifications.



I made my own pattern using a CD to draw around for the curves, as I wanted it considerably smaller than the tutorial made for.  The result is about 4.5" in diameter, which is still a bit bigger than I would like.  I am planning to make more, mostly smaller, and then string them together with ribbons and beads to make a kind of decorative hanging, um....."thing".  Can't think of what to call it.  Anyway, when I have made more I shall post!

I'm pretty sure this is originally a traditional Japanese design, and may possibly have been called a "Chysanthemum Ball" ...maybe after one of their traditional geometric designs.  If anyone has any more info on the origin of this design please tell me!  I would love to know more, I find this pattern very fascinating.  The ball was time consuming to make but totally worth it.  It's not something you would make to sell, you could never recoup your costs in time, but for a gift it would be very special.

2 comments:

  1. Just love this ball and can't wait to see them multiply into little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! They'll be like tribbles....

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete